FRI Stream Fall Course Registration
- Registration. Your Research Educator will provide registration information and instructions. Course credit options are subject to change.
- Stream switching after the first semester or participation in an additional stream is not possible at this time.
- Time Commitment. Most streams also require a lab component that is included with the course credit offered, but does not show a meeting time on the spring & fall course schedules. Reserve time in your weekly schedule to attend lab, in addition to the meeting time indicated in the course schedule.
- Questions? Contact the stream Research Educator.
|FRI Stream||Primary Research Discipline*||Course Credit Options & Flag(s)|
|Aptamer||Biochemistry||BIO206L(II) & BIO177 (Wr, II)||BIO377 (Wr, II)||CH369K (Wr, II)|
|Autonomous Robots||Computer Science||CS378||--||--|
|Behavioral Neuroscience||Biology||BIO377 (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Big Data in Biology||Computational Biology||BIO377 (Wr)||CS378||--|
|Bioactive Molecules||Chemistry||CH220c (Wr, II)||CH369K (Wr, II)||--|
|Biobricks||Biochemistry||BIO206L (II) & BIO177 (Wr, II)||BIO377 (Wr, II)||CH369K (Wr, II)|
|Biodiversity Discovery||Biology||BIO377 (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Biomanufacturing||Biochemistry||BIO206L (II) & BIO177 (Wr, II)||BIO377 (Wr, II)||CH369K (Wr, II)|
|Bioprospecting||Biochemistry||BIO206L (II) & BIO177 (Wr, II)||BIO377 (Wr, II)||CH369K (Wr, II)|
|Bugs in Bugs||Biology||BIO377 (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Computational Materials||Computational Chemistry||CH369K (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Discovering Signals||Biology||BIO377 (Wr, II)||BIO328D (Wr, II)||--|
|Discrete Mathematics||Math||Directed Reading||--||--|
|DIY Diagnostics||Multidisciplinary||BIO206L (II) & BIO177 (Wr, II)||BIO377 (II, Wr)||CS378 (Wr)|
|EvoDevOmics||Computational Biology||BIO377 (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Fish Behavior||Biology||BIO377 (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Gene Networks||Biochemistry||BIO206L (II) & BIO177 (Wr, II)||BIO377 (Wr, II)||BCH369K (Wr)|
|Geometry of Space||Multidisciplinary||CS378 (Wr)||--||--|
|Glow Worms||Biology||BIO377 (II)||--||--|
|Materials in Color||Chemistry||CH369K (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Microbe Hackers||Biochemistry||BIO206L (II) & BIO177 (Wr, II)||BIO377 (Wr, II)||CH369K (Wr, II)|
|Plant Pathways||Biology||BIO377 (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Practical Sensors||ARI Stream/Multidisciplinary||BIO377 (Wr, II)||CH220c (Wr, II)||CH455 (Wr, II)|
|Quantum Computing||Computer Science||CS378 (II)||PHY308F (II)||--|
|Supra Sensors||Chemistry||CH369K (Wr, II)||--||--|
|Urban Ecosystems||Multidisciplinary||BIO206L & BIO177 (II)||BIO377 (II)||CH369K (II)|
|Virtual Cures||Biochemistry||BIO206L (II) & BIO177 (Wr, II)||BIO377 (Wr, II)||CH369K (Wr, II)|
|White Dwarf Stars||Astronomy||AST275 (II)||AST375 (II)||PHY116L|
|X-Plants||Biology||BIO373L (Wr, II)||BIO377 (II)||--|
FRI Course Registration Notes
Many FRI courses carry Flags that fulfill UT Austin's degree plan requirements and Core Curriculum Requirements. Flagged courses are identified in the course schedule with a yellow box that indicates the specific Flag designation.
Independent Inquiry (II). In a FRI course that carries a II Flag, students are engaged in the research process, from defining their research topics to designing, executing, and presenting their projects.
Quantitative Reasoning (QR). In a FRI course that carries a QR flag, students apply and demonstrate an understanding of the application of quantitative skills (logical, numerical, statistical) to real-world problems.
Writing (Wr) Flag. A FRI course that carries a Wr-flag emphasizes writing skills and includes substantial writing assignments.
CNS students are required to complete two (2) Wr-flags:
- A 3-hour Wr-flag course that does not fulfill another Core Curriculum requirement.
- At least one of the two Wr-flag courses must be upper division. An upper division course is one in which the last two digits are between 20-79.
Please Note: A UGS 303 Signature Course that carries a Wr-flag will satisfy the Core Signature Course requirement but will not fulfill the 3-hour Wr-flag Core requirement.
In this case, the student would need to take an additional course with a 3-hour Wr-flag to meet the Core requirement keeping in mind that the second course is upper division.
Students in Biochemistry FRI streams (**Urban Ecosystems does not apply**)
Fall Course Credit Options
- BIO206L & BIO177 (BIO177 carries upper division 1-hour Wr-flag) or
- BIO377 (upper division 3-hour Wr-flag) or
- CH369K (upper division 3-hour Wr-flag)
Fall Course Registration Notes
- If a student does not need BIO206L for their degree plan, it is advised they register for one of the other two credit options (BIO377 or CH369K). These courses fulfill BOTH the upper division Wr flag requirement and carry a 3-hour Wr-flag.
If a student is considering changing majors, they should look at the degree plans for the other majors to make sure they will not need BIO206L.
- If a student needs BIO206L for their degree plan, it is advised that they choose the BIO206L & BIO177 option, but they should also take an additional 3-hour Wr-flag course to meet the core requirement. BIO177 is an upper division course that can fulfill a student’s CNS requirement for a second Wr-flag.