There’s a very close relationship between what the students are doing and what I’m doing. The students are doing the straightforward but critical experiments that predict what might be happening at the gene level, and then we are able to come in and test that at the gene level. It’s absolutely novel, and absolutely essential, yet also very basic.
Stan Roux, Distinguished Teaching Professor Discovery Lab in Plant Biology Stream
Centers, Institutes and Departments
The Freshman Research Inititative is a cross-campus collaboration, involving a number of departments, centers, institutes and faculty.
- School of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- Center for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- Center For Systems & Synthetic Biology
- Institute for Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Texas Materials Institute & The Center for Nano and Molecular Science and Technology
Faculty are the principal investigators and educators that develop research streams and serve as FRI lab leaders. The following faculty are associated with FRI: